This great recipe combines veggies, chicken and pasta in a great tasty dish that your kids are sure to enjoy. The best part, your kids won’t even know there are vegetables in it. The hidden vegetables combine perfectly with the creamy sauce, helping to thicken it up and add the healthy ingredients. You can modify this recipe relatively simply. I chose white colored vegetables to blend make it completely disappear into the creamy sauce. You can try any type of vegetable but it will modify the end color.
- 2 skinless chicken breasts or about 6 boneless chicken thighs.
- 350ml/1 and 1/2 cups of thickened cream.
- 2 cups of chopped cauliflower.
- 1 cup of peeled zuchinni.
- 2 cups of chicken stock.
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- 1/2 a lemon.
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh basil (dried basil is ok).
- Chop up the chicken and cook in a saucepan with a dash of olive oil on a medium heat to seal it. Add in the basil and crushed garlic.
- Add the chicken stock and turn the heat down to simmer.
- Blend your chopped vegetables until smooth.
- Add the cream and then the blended vegetables to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Leave to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, if it is not thick enough for your taste, mix a few spoonfuls of plain flour with cold water until it is the consistency of honey. Stir the thickener into the sauce to thicken it further.
- Squeeze the half lemon into the sauce a bit at a time. Continue to add to taste.
- Serve with your favorite style of pasta.
Hiding the Veggies
Hiding vegetable puree` in sauce is the perfect way of making sure your kids get that veggie goodness. I love this particular one. The original recipe called for a dash of white wine and small cauliflower florets. I have modified it to make it a great way to feed your kids vegetables without them knowing it.